Thursday, 10 January 2013

GCW Zero

GCW-Zero: Open Source Gaming Handheld -- Kicktraq Mini

Finally! I really hope this project goes well. I backed up the 160$ (+ 20$ post) because I really want this one and it was little above 135$ (the least you can give to also preorder the handheld). I know, too much you will say. People tell me, why this when you can get a cheap phone? Because I hate touch. I can't play emuls with touch. Oh,. but you can add that hardware joypad that attaches to phones. I am not going to carry another controller among my phone with me!

I am talking about the niche category: homebrew handheld from community, not even commercial one that might be able to run homebrew (They tell me PSP is enough for emulation why do you need Caanoo? I haven't unlocked my PSP yet because it's too much work, my BIOS was updated and I have to find another one with broken PSP or something, fuck that shit!)

And I am talking about a homebrew made by the community supported by the community. I know there were some cheaper chinese android handhelds that even played N64 well, but these were not supported, nobody knows them, the chinese company makes many series of them instead of concentrating in a single one.

We needed something like a successor to Dingoo/Gamepark. Something for the homebrew console community (not touch, not android, just classic gamepark style!). Pandora failed to deliver and was too expensive. But now we have GCW Zero!

Some info
Forums
Kickstarter link

p.s. Once ago I wondered about the community and whether it would be nice to have an appstore. Well,. gamegadget (regardless if it was as powerful as an old dingoo) didn't go well (and I've heard the company didn't behave well), nD is for laughs (where?), so forget all that stuff and have the GCW Zero from several members of the community (see the kickstarter for a list). This is a more serious attempt. Scene gonna move!
p.p.s. Other good news. My old classic GP32 had died in 2008. I just decided to buy one used from Ebay. Not telling you how much I payed. But I really miss the nostalgy and there isn't even a proper emulator. I am just waiting for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment